Deal: $274.50 (SAVE Now!)
as of 02/23/2020 (Details)
Description: This set of plates originate from 'Encyclopedie Methodique ou par ordre de matieres ....' published between 1782-1832 by Panckoucke. This set of plates was published as part of the 'Receuil de Planches de l'Encyclopedie, par ordre de matieres. Tome troisieme, 1784.' This encyclopedia is one of the most extensive of all encyclopaedias ever produced. It is in fact a much enlarged and re-arranged edition of Diderot and d'Alembert's Encyclopedie. Its famous predecessor: 'Encyclopedie ou Dictionnaire raisonne des sciences, des arts et des metiers ...' was originally published in folio under the direction of Diderot and d'Alembert, with 17 volumes of text and 11 volumes of plates, between 1751 and 1772. It contained 72,000 articles written by more than 140 contributors. This encyclopdia was a massive reference work for the arts and sciences, as well as a means to propagate the ideas of the French Enlightment. The impact of this encyclopedia was enormous. Artists and Engravers: Charles-Joseph Panckoucke (1736-1798) was a French writer and publisher, notable for the Encyclopé;die Mé;thodique. His partner was Henri Agasse, married to his daughter Therese-Charlotte, who finished the last 166 volumes after Charles-Joseph died. His son Charles Louis Fleury Panckoucke continued in the writing and publishing business as well. Robert Benard (fl. 1750-1785) direxit. Denis Diderot (1713-1784) was a French philosopher, art critic and writer. Jean le Rond d'Alembert (1717-1783) was a French mathematician, mechanician, physicist and philosopher.
- Subject: Complete set of 17 Plates: 'Menuisier en Voitures.' (Coach Builder.) These plates deal with Coach Building. This is a complete set of 17 plates, 1 plate is double sized and folding. No text pages present.
- Size (in inch): The overall size is ca. 8.9 x 11.2 inch. The image size is ca. 6.3 x 9.1 inch.
- Size (in cm): The overall size is ca. 22.5 x 28.5 cm. The image size is ca. 16 x 23 cm.
- Medium: Etching and engraving on verge type hand laid paper.
- Condition: Excellent. General age related toning and occasional light staining from handling. Occasional small tears in edges. Small holes in left margin from binding.
Do you want ot get the 17 Antique Prints-COACH BUILDING-COACH-Panckoucke-1784?